Sunday, November 08, 2015

(As yet untitled) Draft Row Game - first draft rules and cards

I spent about 8 hours prototyping today, and as a result I have not one, but 2 new prototypes ready to test! The one I'm more excited about is Deities & Demigods, which I hope to get to the table Tuesday with my playtest group, and if that goes well, I will bring it to BGG.con with me. I also managed to make some first draft cards for my latest new idea about drafting cards, playing them into a row, then "running" your row. I haven't tried this out yet, but here's a draft rule set - I suppose you could try it out if you wanted to:
What you'll need:
This file for the cards (10 pages): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4093/My%20Games/Draft%20Row%20Game/Draft%20Row%20Game.pdf
A supply of cubes in green, red, yellow, and blue
Paper and pencil to keep score
16 Bonus Score tokens (see setup, below)

Setup
1. Deal players a hand of 3 (2?) cards.
2. Deal 3 cards into a face up display.
3. Put a bunch of cubes in red, blue, yellow, and green into supply piles.
4. Stack scoring tokens with the highest number on top and the lowest on bottom for each of the following:
- Size 3 rows (5/3/1)
- Size 4 rows (5/3/2/1)
- Size 5 rows (5/3/2/1)
- Size 6 rows (5/3/1)
- Size 7 rows (5/3)
In other words, the first player to score a size 4 row will also score a bonus 5 points, while the 2nd person to do so will score a bonus 3 points.
Game Play
Players take turns drafting cards, playing cards into their row to collect resources, and if possible, scoring the row.
On your turn you must...
1. Draft one of the cards in the face up display into your hand, then replace it from the deck.
2. Play any one card from your hand. Collect the resources on one half of the card, then turn the card so that the taken resources are upside down and the other option is right side up, and add it to your card row.
3. If you have the resources pictured right-side-up on the cards in your card row, then spend those resources and score the points shown (right-side-up) on those cards. If available, also take a bonus scoring token based on the size of your row and add that to your score as well. Record those points on a piece of paper.
Game End
The game ends when all of the bonus score token stacks are used up, or when the deck runs out. At the end of the turn in which one of those things happens, the game is over. The player with the most points wins.

Let me know what you think in the comments below. If you are so inclined, give it a try and let me know how it goes!

No comments: